Across Shan State, Conflict-Displaced Children Struggle to Return to School

Children returning to Hsihseng Township after fleeing conflict are being denied access to local schools, according to parents and residents.

The disruption stems from fighting that erupted in early 2024 between the military junta, the Pa-O National Organization (PNO/PNA), and the Pa-O National Liberation Army (PNLA). The violence displaced thousands of families. Although the military has since reasserted control and relative calm has returned, displaced children now face a new challenge: being shut out of the classroom.

“This year, none of the children who returned after fleeing the conflict are being admitted, from Grade 1 to Grade 8,” said a parent of one affected student. “They say the schools are full and there aren’t enough teachers. I can’t afford to send my child to another town.”

Hsihseng Town has two high schools, yet both have declined to admit returning students, citing overcrowding and a shortage of resources. Parents also report that some schools are demanding unofficial “donations” ranging from 5,000 to 30,000 kyats per student in exchange for enrollment.

“They call it a donation, but it’s something everyone is expected to pay,” said a local woman. “Even if the school opens, there are so many hidden costs. Poor families just can’t keep up.”

Under the military council’s education guidelines, basic education schools reopened enrollment from May 22 to June 2, with classes scheduled to start on June 3.

In neighboring Pai Khun (Pekon) Township, the fear of renewed violence continues to keep children out of classrooms. Some families have turned to alternative education programs supported by the National Unity Government (NUG), but such options remain limited.

“We don’t dare send our children back to village schools. Even if they reopen, the kids are terrified. Just the sound of gunfire sends them into a panic,” said a parent. “And going to school in another city is out of the question. It’s just too expensive.”

In northern Shan State’s Lashio, where schools have reopened under military control, many families report that the deepening economic crisis makes education unaffordable. A local resident told SHAN News that some students are being asked to pay up to 1 million Kyats (around USD 226) to continue to the next grade, an amount far beyond the reach of most families.

Children displaced during last year’s “Operation 1027” are also being forced to return to the grade they were in prior to the conflict, regardless of any learning they may have completed elsewhere.
A 2024 report by ISP-Myanmar estimated that 8 to 10 million children nationwide have lost access to education since the 2021 military coup.

Compounding the crisis, the NUG’s Ministry of Education announced on May 25 that all schools under its administration would be temporarily closed due to a wave of intensified airstrikes targeting NUG-affiliated schools, further narrowing the few remaining educational options for displaced children.

Education Minister Dr. Zaw Wai Soe condemned the attacks, which have further destabilized an already fractured system.

Leave a Comments

promotion

SHAN Membership

฿ 19฿ 169 /mo
  • ၶဝ်ႈႁူမ်ႈ ႁဵၼ်းဢဝ်ၵၢၼ်ၶၢဝ်ႇ၊ ရေႊတီႊဢူဝ်ႊ၊ ထႆႇႁၢင်ႈ၊ Blogger, Vlog ထႆႇဝီႊတီႊဢူဝ်ႊ တတ်းတေႃႇ ႁဵတ်းဢွၵ်ႇ ပိုၼ်ၽႄႈ
  • ၶဝ်ႈႁူမ်ႈၵၢၼ်တူင်ႉၼိုင်ၸုမ်းၶၢဝ်ႇၽူႈတွႆႇႁွၵ်ႈ ၼႂ်းၶၵ်ႉၵၢၼ်ပူၵ်းပွင်ၵၢၼ်သိုဝ်ႇ
  • ၶဝ်ႈႁူမ်ႈပၢင်လႅၵ်ႈလၢႆႈပိုၼ်ႉႁူႉပၢႆးႁၼ် ဢၼ်ၸုမ်းၶၢဝ်ႇၽူႈတွႆႇႁွၵ်ႈၸတ်းႁဵတ်း
  • ၶဝ်ႈႁူမ်ႈပၢင်ဢုပ်ႇဢူဝ်းတွင်ႈထၢမ် ၵဵဝ်ႇၵပ်းငဝ်းလၢႆးၵၢၼ်မိူင်း၊ ၵၢၼ်မၢၵ်ႈမီး၊ ပၢႆးမွၼ်း လႄႈ ႁူဝ်ၶေႃႈ ဢၼ်ၶႂ်ႈႁူႉၶႂ်ႈငိၼ်း။
  • လႆႈႁပ်ႉဢၢၼ်ႇ ၶၢဝ်ႇၶိုၵ်ႉတွၼ်း ပိူင်ပဵၼ်ဝူင်ႈလႂ်ဝူင်ႈ ၼၼ်ႉ။

Related article

Latest article

Thai Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul holds hands with Myanmar junta leader Min Aung Hlaing

Rare Earth Mining, Toxic Rivers Expose Gaps in Bangkok’s Cross-Border Pollution Pact

0
Inside Bangkok’s opulent Queen Sirikit National Convention Center, Myanmar’s military junta leader and Thai government officials smiled as they signed a series of bilateral...
A civilian home demolished by junta troops in Mongmit Township, northern Shan State

Junta Destroys Civilian Homes in Mongmit Amid SSPP Peace Talks

0
The military regime has destroyed two civilian homes in the Mong Hauk Village Tract of Mongmit Township after accusing the homeowners of having ties...
A road connecting towns in northern Shan State

Northern Shan Trade Disrupted by Rising Checkpoint Fees and Road Restrictions

0
Merchants and drivers report that checkpoint fees and road-clearance bribes extorted at military regime checkpoints along the route from Nawnghkio in northern Shan State...
Gen N'ban La

THE STALEMATE OF TWO IRRECONCILABLE PATHS: Why Conditional Mediation is Myanmar’s Only Way Out

0
The political and military landscape of Myanmar as of August 2026 is defined by a deepening and rigid stalemate where neither the military junta...
A Russian woman receives medical treatment in Mae Sai after escaping a scam compound in Tachileik Her document is shown at right

Russian Woman Escapes Tachileik Scam Compound and Crosses Into Thailand

0
A 19-year-old Russian woman who was trafficked into an online scam operation in Tachileik has escaped across the border into Mae Sai, Thailand, according...