Laid-off Shan workers finally get compensated

Some seven months after being laid off by the Perfetto Limited Partnership Company in northern Thailand, 100 Burmese migrant workers have finally received some compensation, although not from the firm – from Chiang Mai’s Department of Labour Protection and Welfare (DLPW).

Photo by SHAN: Migrant representatives receive cheque from the Chiang Mai province governor Pawin Chamniprasart at Chiang Mai provincial hall.
Photo by SHAN: Migrant representatives receive cheque from the Chiang Mai province governor Pawin Chamniprasart at Chiang Mai provincial hall.

The 100 workers – most of whom are from Shan State – each received a cheque for 9,000 baht (US$250) as compensation at Chiang Mai provincial hall today.

Local governor Pawin Chamniprasart hosted a ceremony to hand over the cheques.

“I regret that you have not yet received the money you deserve,” he said. “However, we are working toward getting the employer to pay you.”

Speaking to Shan Herald at the ceremony on Wednesday, Mwe Oo Nanta, an official from the Human Rights and Development Foundation and an assistant advisor to the Migrant Workers Federation, said she was working alongside Thai government agencies to take action against the company owner.

“Now, some of the workers have received some compensation from the Department of Labour Protection and Welfare. But there are others who did not get paid,” she said. “Therefore, we will push harder to get the employers to pay the workers the money they deserve.”

She added that, usually, migrant workers are too afraid to demand their rights and pursue these matters.

Sai Ling, a construction worker who laboured on a Perfetto site in Hang Dong, just south of Chiang Mai, said he felt better after receiving some compensation, adding that he and his co-workers could not find jobs after they were laid off because their work permits were registered with the old employer.

“We have been facing so many difficulties,” he said. “We had to move out of our living quarters because the water and electricity was cut off. And we could not find jobs because our work permits would not allow it.”

Nang Kong, another Burmese labourer who was laid off by the firm in December, said, “I could not go outside for two months. It was so stressful because I had no money to feed my children.”

Perfetto laid off a total of 195 workers on December 16, 2015. On January 28 and February 1, 2016, the workers submitted a petition to the DLPW, claiming 5,969,455.44 baht ($186,545) in unpaid wages and compensation.

The 195 labourers had been hired to work on three construction projects in Chiang Mai: Star Avenue 5, Diamant Condominium, and the Spring Condominium.

Chiang Mai’s DLPW said it sent a letter on March 28 to Perfetto Ltd Partnership Company, ordering them to pay the workers’ wages and compensation, but has so far seen no progress.

No representative of the Perfetto company was available for comment.

Leave a Comments

promotion

SHAN Membership

฿ 19฿ 169 /mo
  • ၶဝ်ႈႁူမ်ႈ ႁဵၼ်းဢဝ်ၵၢၼ်ၶၢဝ်ႇ၊ ရေႊတီႊဢူဝ်ႊ၊ ထႆႇႁၢင်ႈ၊ Blogger, Vlog ထႆႇဝီႊတီႊဢူဝ်ႊ တတ်းတေႃႇ ႁဵတ်းဢွၵ်ႇ ပိုၼ်ၽႄႈ
  • ၶဝ်ႈႁူမ်ႈၵၢၼ်တူင်ႉၼိုင်ၸုမ်းၶၢဝ်ႇၽူႈတွႆႇႁွၵ်ႈ ၼႂ်းၶၵ်ႉၵၢၼ်ပူၵ်းပွင်ၵၢၼ်သိုဝ်ႇ
  • ၶဝ်ႈႁူမ်ႈပၢင်လႅၵ်ႈလၢႆႈပိုၼ်ႉႁူႉပၢႆးႁၼ် ဢၼ်ၸုမ်းၶၢဝ်ႇၽူႈတွႆႇႁွၵ်ႈၸတ်းႁဵတ်း
  • ၶဝ်ႈႁူမ်ႈပၢင်ဢုပ်ႇဢူဝ်းတွင်ႈထၢမ် ၵဵဝ်ႇၵပ်းငဝ်းလၢႆးၵၢၼ်မိူင်း၊ ၵၢၼ်မၢၵ်ႈမီး၊ ပၢႆးမွၼ်း လႄႈ ႁူဝ်ၶေႃႈ ဢၼ်ၶႂ်ႈႁူႉၶႂ်ႈငိၼ်း။
  • လႆႈႁပ်ႉဢၢၼ်ႇ ၶၢဝ်ႇၶိုၵ်ႉတွၼ်း ပိူင်ပဵၼ်ဝူင်ႈလႂ်ဝူင်ႈ ၼၼ်ႉ။

Related article

Latest article

NSPNC and UWSA representatives meet in Naypyidaw

FROM PARTITION TO PLURALISM: Reimagining Myanmar’s Unity Beyond the Three Realities

0
The Myanmar military-dominated, so-called quasi-civilian government led by Min Aung Hlaing, popularly known in Burmese as “Yway-Tu,” meaning “fakely-elected” regime, has been trying to...
Thai Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul holds hands with Myanmar junta leader Min Aung Hlaing

Rare Earth Mining, Toxic Rivers Expose Gaps in Bangkok’s Cross-Border Pollution Pact

0
Inside Bangkok’s opulent Queen Sirikit National Convention Center, Myanmar’s military junta leader and Thai government officials smiled as they signed a series of bilateral...
A civilian home demolished by junta troops in Mongmit Township, northern Shan State

Junta Destroys Civilian Homes in Mongmit Amid SSPP Peace Talks

0
The military regime has destroyed two civilian homes in the Mong Hauk Village Tract of Mongmit Township after accusing the homeowners of having ties...
A road connecting towns in northern Shan State

Northern Shan Trade Disrupted by Rising Checkpoint Fees and Road Restrictions

0
Merchants and drivers report that checkpoint fees and road-clearance bribes extorted at military regime checkpoints along the route from Nawnghkio in northern Shan State...
Gen N'ban La

THE STALEMATE OF TWO IRRECONCILABLE PATHS: Why Conditional Mediation is Myanmar’s Only Way Out

0
The political and military landscape of Myanmar as of August 2026 is defined by a deepening and rigid stalemate where neither the military junta...