Over 100 migrant workers demand unpaid wages in Chiang Mai

Over 120 laid-off migrant workers submitted a petition to both the Chiang Mai governor and the Chiang Mai-based Consulate-General of the Republic of the Union of Myanmar on Wednesday, demanding 3.5 million baht ($97,700 US) in wages from the Perfetto Ltd. Partnership Company.

121 migrant workers submitted their petition at the Chiang Mai Provinical Hall on Wednesday
121 migrant workers submitted their petition at the Chiang Mai Provinical Hall on Wednesday

The 121 migrant workers were among 200 who were hired to work for the company on three construction projects in Chiang Mai, including the Star Avenue 5, Diamant Condominium and the Spring Condominium.

“The workers had been laid off since December 16,” said Mwe Oo Nanta, an official from the Human Rights and Development Foundation (HRDF) and an assistant advisor to the Migrant Workers Federation (MWF). “They didn’t know where to contact the construction firm because they had shut down their offices.”

She said the total amount that the company refused to pay the included 906,988 baht ($25,325 US) for unpaid wages, 2,036,100 baht ($56,850 US) for compensation and 554,850 baht ($15,500 US) filed because the company failed to give them advance notice of the termination of their working contracts.

She also said that the migrant workers had to move out of their living quarters because the water and electricity had been cut off.

“Now there is only me living in the construction camp,” said 55-year-old Loong Seng, who worked with one of Perfetto’s projects in Chiang Mai’s Hang Dong district. “Other people moved out to find new shelters or to stay with their relatives. For me, I do not have any relatives so I have to stay here.”

“Now, some parts of the living quarters have been destroyed,” he added.

Thansanat Nutsaengphli, chief of the Labour Protection and Welfare Department, promised the migrant workers that the department would ask the employer to pay them the money within 30 days.

He said that they would take action against the company owner if they refused to give the migrant workers their wages within the proposed deadline.

BY SAI AW/ Shan Herald Agency for News (SHAN)

Leave a Comments

promotion

SHAN Membership

฿ 19฿ 169 /mo
  • ၶဝ်ႈႁူမ်ႈ ႁဵၼ်းဢဝ်ၵၢၼ်ၶၢဝ်ႇ၊ ရေႊတီႊဢူဝ်ႊ၊ ထႆႇႁၢင်ႈ၊ Blogger, Vlog ထႆႇဝီႊတီႊဢူဝ်ႊ တတ်းတေႃႇ ႁဵတ်းဢွၵ်ႇ ပိုၼ်ၽႄႈ
  • ၶဝ်ႈႁူမ်ႈၵၢၼ်တူင်ႉၼိုင်ၸုမ်းၶၢဝ်ႇၽူႈတွႆႇႁွၵ်ႈ ၼႂ်းၶၵ်ႉၵၢၼ်ပူၵ်းပွင်ၵၢၼ်သိုဝ်ႇ
  • ၶဝ်ႈႁူမ်ႈပၢင်လႅၵ်ႈလၢႆႈပိုၼ်ႉႁူႉပၢႆးႁၼ် ဢၼ်ၸုမ်းၶၢဝ်ႇၽူႈတွႆႇႁွၵ်ႈၸတ်းႁဵတ်း
  • ၶဝ်ႈႁူမ်ႈပၢင်ဢုပ်ႇဢူဝ်းတွင်ႈထၢမ် ၵဵဝ်ႇၵပ်းငဝ်းလၢႆးၵၢၼ်မိူင်း၊ ၵၢၼ်မၢၵ်ႈမီး၊ ပၢႆးမွၼ်း လႄႈ ႁူဝ်ၶေႃႈ ဢၼ်ၶႂ်ႈႁူႉၶႂ်ႈငိၼ်း။
  • လႆႈႁပ်ႉဢၢၼ်ႇ ၶၢဝ်ႇၶိုၵ်ႉတွၼ်း ပိူင်ပဵၼ်ဝူင်ႈလႂ်ဝူင်ႈ ၼၼ်ႉ။

Related article

Latest article

Thai Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul holds hands with Myanmar junta leader Min Aung Hlaing

Rare Earth Mining, Toxic Rivers Expose Gaps in Bangkok’s Cross-Border Pollution Pact

0
Inside Bangkok’s opulent Queen Sirikit National Convention Center, Myanmar’s military junta leader and Thai government officials smiled as they signed a series of bilateral...
A civilian home demolished by junta troops in Mongmit Township, northern Shan State

Junta Destroys Civilian Homes in Mongmit Amid SSPP Peace Talks

0
The military regime has destroyed two civilian homes in the Mong Hauk Village Tract of Mongmit Township after accusing the homeowners of having ties...
A road connecting towns in northern Shan State

Northern Shan Trade Disrupted by Rising Checkpoint Fees and Road Restrictions

0
Merchants and drivers report that checkpoint fees and road-clearance bribes extorted at military regime checkpoints along the route from Nawnghkio in northern Shan State...
Gen N'ban La

THE STALEMATE OF TWO IRRECONCILABLE PATHS: Why Conditional Mediation is Myanmar’s Only Way Out

0
The political and military landscape of Myanmar as of August 2026 is defined by a deepening and rigid stalemate where neither the military junta...
A Russian woman receives medical treatment in Mae Sai after escaping a scam compound in Tachileik Her document is shown at right

Russian Woman Escapes Tachileik Scam Compound and Crosses Into Thailand

0
A 19-year-old Russian woman who was trafficked into an online scam operation in Tachileik has escaped across the border into Mae Sai, Thailand, according...