A sudden unexplained explosion occurred while workers were pumping gas.
A petrol station caught fire in Waing Hser village in northern Shan State’s Namkham Township on Friday, with a blaze so strong that firefighters were unable to immediately extinguish it.
Locals say that there were no casualties, but that a sudden unexplained explosion occurred at the Mai Tae petrol station while workers were pumping gas.
Sai San Myint, who lives in Namkham, said that as of Friday afternoon, the fire had not gone out and described it as a “strong burning fire” and that oil containers were exploding.
The fire has not reportedly spread to nearby houses, but the value of the damage so far is not known.
The fire is the second in northern Shan State this week—a man and woman were killed in a house fire in Kutkai Township that destroyed homes and places of business.